I received a Tweet the other day (yes, I’m a Twit-ter-er) about “How to clean up your social media mess in 5 simple steps”. As I read along, I realized that these 5 steps can be applied to any situation where you’ve made a mistake, not just in a business/social media sense.
Think about the last mistake you made. Now, see how this list can help you get beyond that mistake.
- Admit your mistake. This isn’t to show you are a better person. It’s to show that you are human and you have faults. Sometimes publicly admitting your mistakes helps you overcome them.
- Respond directly and publicly to the most vocal objections. If someone is out to exploit your error, this can take the wind out of their sails.
- Give people a channel to vent. Sometimes people just need to be heard. If it is a customer you have wronged, let them speak.
- Do something right. The timing of your correction can be extremely powerful. Don’t wait to respond. Make it right.
- Don’t make the same mistake again. Turn it into a learning experience, not just for you but for your team (if you are a leader). Even if you are part of the front line staff, others will observe your behavior and could possibly benefit from your mistake.